spoon

Sindhi Koki or Alu

Category: , ,

BM# 6 DAY 7

 

IMG_1851

I have sweet memories attached with the koki. One of my dearest friend "D" is Sindhi. During the exams time whenever we used to do group study at her home, her mother treated us with Kokis at the tea time. I have had lunch many times at her home and I am a big fan of the Sindhi cuisine.
Today is the last day of the blogging marathon started by srivalli. I had fun blogging with all the seasoned bloggers. Hats off to your enthusiasm to blog daily. I am passionate about cooking but for blogging more frequently, I was in  need of a catalyst like this marathon event.
As part of the last day of the blogging marathon we needed to prepare a recipe from our fellow marathon blogger. I am paired up with Vaishali and, I am glad that I have found another creative soul. Since many of my recipes for this blogging marathon have been wheat flour based I thought it would be a good idea to pick and prepare the Sindhi Roti - Koki and Alu on side from Vaishali’s blog.

 

KOKI

 

Ingredients

  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 2tbsp oil / ghee
  • 1 small onion finely chopped
  • 1 green chilly finely chopped
  • ¼ tsp. crushed anardana /pomegranate seeds  (optional)
  • 1/4th tea spoon turmeric powder  (optional)
  • Coriander leaves
  • Mint leaves
  • Salt to taste

Method

 

  • Take the flour in a bowl.
  • Make a well in the center.
  • Sprinkle salt and pepper.
  • Pour oil / ghee. Add remaining ingredients.
  • Mix well with hands till the flour resembles crumbs.
  • Adding little water knead into a stiff dough.

IMG_1834

  • Make two balls.
  • Roll into a thick chapatti.(do not use any flour for dusting)
  • Put criss cross lines with a knife.(make sure you don’t go deep to cut it off.)

IMG_1837

  • Roast on slow flame ,smearing it with ghee on both sides till nice and crisp and a golden color.

IMG_1844

 

  • Serve hot with Sindhi alu and curd or with a hot cup of tea.

IMG_1872

IMG_1861

Note
  • - The criss cross is to ensure cooking deep inside as these are rolled thick.

 

 


 

 

 

 

Sindhi Alu

 

IMG_1848

Ingredients
  • 4-5 potatoes
  • 1/4  tsp.........turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp..........chilly powder
  • 1/4 tsp..........amchoor powder/sundried mango powder
  • 1/4 tsp..........dhaniya powder/corainder seeds powder
  • oil for shallow frying
  • salt to taste
Method

 

  • Heat oil.
  • Add potatoes .
  • Sprinkle salt.
  • Fry for a few minutes.
  • Cover and cook on slow flame till soft.
  • Remove the excess oil.
  • Sprinkle spices.
  • Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
  • Serve garnished with coriander leaves.

Have a look what my fellow Blogging Marathoner's are doing.

Comments (15)

Manisha...i am impressed..u have cooked both koki and aaloo to perfection...all *****five stars for that!..amazing job:))

n ya manisha love that set up too...so wen can i come over???

Omg, both looks incredible, am drooling over that alu,simply irresistible..

they look irresistible!

That looks super yummy, great pics. I had to bookmark it :)

Both the dishes look AWESOME. Potatoes look perfectly done. Enjoyed all your recipes during the marathon Manisha.

lovely combo and very tasty

Very inviting platter and loved the setup on that small table.

I too have had my eye on these two recipes from Vaishali's blog. Both look totally yum.

Am literally drooling over those yummy treats.Lovely clicks Manisha.

Koki I heard about it but never tried looks fantastic will try this soon bookmarked.

Thank you so much for visiting palate corner and i am glad to know that ur from jodhpur,i have couple of friends from jodhpur .I will surely b waiting for all your entries :) ..luved this sindhi platter ,simplr mouthwatering and gorgeous !i am so happy to follow ur blog ,liked couple of rajasthani dishes here which i have bookmarked !

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Havent tried much of Sindhi recipes. This looks delicious. And I love that teapot :)

Wow Manisha..those are looking awesome!..sorry for dropping in late..but I wouldn't have wanted to miss these posts for the world!..thanks for joining us for BM, can't believe I am coming here when next one is up already!

Just looks awesome......very nice pics..... yum n delicious!