spoon

Moti Roti

Category: ,

IMG_6759


Moti roti/Jadi roti/Thick roti/ Pinched Roti- Call it by any name. It taste as heavenly like Dal Bati. If you are craving for Dal Bati and not in the mood of baking Bati, Make this Moti roti on the tava/griddle. This is so heavy and filling, quarter pie of the roti makes me full but just for the taste alone, I cannot resist myself to one pie. I always end up with a second serving which I top it with small pieces of jaggery.

 

 

 

 

Ingredients (serves 2)

  • 2 cups wheat flour
  • 1/4th cup gram flour(optional)
  • 2 tablespoon melted ghee (clarified butter)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
  • salt to taste
  • water as required.

Method


  • Add ghee in the wheat flour. Mix it with fork.
  • Add salt and ajwain.
  • Now knead the flour with the water and make a stiff dough.
  • Knead till smooth and make a round 1 or 2 ball out of it.*
  • Roll it to make 1- 1.5 cm thick roti.
  • Place it on the hot griddle on low heat.
IMG_6748
  • When the color changes on the top and tiny bubbles appear, turn it over (approx. time 1 min).
IMG_6750
  • Now pinch the roti on upper side in a circular motion.
IMG_6751
  • Let the lower side get crisp. Once it get crisp use the mesh stand* to roast the pinched side over very low flame/coil/induction gas.
IMG_6755

IMG_6756
  • Smear the roti with lots of ghee and serve with the dal of your choice.
IMG_6766


Note:


1-The griddle which I used was of 12 inch in diameter so I made 1 ball of whole dough.
2- If you don't have mesh to roast you can roast it on griddle.
3- Low flame or heat helps in making the roti crisp.
4- To enjoy it more, crumble the roti, mix with dal. Add 1 tablespoon ghee and eat with onion, garlic chutney, papad and pickle on the the side.

IMG_8542
5- This crisp roti you can pack along with you when you travel. the shelf life is more than a week.

Have a look what my fellow Blogging Marathoner's are doing.
Sending it to "Flavours of Rajasthan" event, guest hosted by Sonu, created by Nayna.


Comments (17)

OMG..This is the first time i am seeing this wonderful roti..Perfect looking one

I have seen this recipe in Tarla Dalal's book but never attempted to try it. Your step by step pics make this recipe sound so easy. The clicks are perfect and very tempting. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

I have seen this recipe in Tarla Dalal's book but never attempted to try it. Your step by step pics make this recipe sound so easy. The clicks are perfect and very tempting. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

This is looking so gorgeous.

Manisha...i m speechless..this is amazing..wonder why my madu friends havent ever served me this?...i love thw way u have pinched it..must have taken real long....but worth it:))))

Omg, completely new for me, roti looks super stunning and fabulous...

This is something totally new to me. It looks so, so good.....would love to see how it tastes.

New as well to me.With the awesome art gone into the roti,I feel it's royal...yum.

Never saw a roti that looks this beautiful, it almost looks like a blooming flower. Looks awesome..

Oh my! Very interesting one.
Do you pinch it while it is on hot tava?

Wow. You have put in a lot of effort.Completely new recipe to me
South Indian Recipes

First time I seeing this roti. Looks so perfect. Pictures are amazing.


Vardhini
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

Wow... that roti looks so cool! Never heard of it before and is one beautiful roti!

Woow..this is something new to me. Looks gorgeous. Loved the pattern due to the pinches. Looks like its worth the effort.

oh wow, very very new for me. Love it, great preparation !!!

wow this is really so new to me, never heard of this..looks so lovely and thanks for the step by step pictures, else it's really hard to understand..thank you so much for doing this series for us Manisha, such a learning exp for me..

Wow! It looks delicious! Thanks a ton for sharing it. Wonder why did you stop blogging. Could you please restart?